Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Reflection

Singapore Institute of Technology provides Technical Communication as a module for all engineering students so that they are well trained in their communication skills before entering the society. As numerous amount of feedbacks reflect that local engineers are not able to have a fluent conversations with foreigners. I realized that there is actually a huge difference in standard between a polytechnic and a university in terms of technical communication modules. University teaches you the correct way of presenting and writing a report as compared to polytechnic where you are only focusing on presentation skills.

Through this short 20 hour module, I was able to gain quite a lot from it. There are two very important things that I gained from this and they are the communications with my fellow classmates and improved presentation skills. Being new course, telematics do not have a huge number of people studying it and therefore is possible to know almost everyone or have at least have a bit of interaction with them. However, I find it hard to make new friends as I tend to stick with only people I am already close and comfortable with. Despite that, this module has helped me solve that problem. With the help of this module I was able to work and interact with people that I found hard to approach.


To add on, this module also improved my presentation skills by overcoming my stage fright. Throughout my polytechnic days, I was scared of presentations and I hated it as I get nervous easily. When I get nervous, I will stutter every word that I say and mess up the whole presentation.  With the help of in-class interactions with our professor and classmates, I was able to project my voice and reach out the class. Therefore, I really appreciate what this module has provided me with. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this comprehensive reflection, Li Fang. I'm happy to know that you found so many takeaways in the tasks you did in TLM1010 (in particular, the presentation) and in the way the module helped you socialize with your peers.

    I really appreciate your effort this term and your willingness to go beyond your comfort zone and bond with your classmates. All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete